01 January 2009

Happy New Years


Can you believe that 2008 is now over? Yeah, neither can I. Hard to believe that it was a year to this day that I’ve let be known that what I intended for myself for 2008. and for the most part, I was able to follow through and complete the majority of my resolutions by the end of the 3rd quarter (see posting here).

So to follow up and continue on the momentum of 2009, this is what I have planned for myself, in no particular order.

Stay Healthy – I’m sure this is on top of everyone’s list, every year. Last year I mentioned I would train for whatever vacation came my way during the year that involved extraneous activities such as hiking, mountain biking and white water rafting. Luckily, Peru offered that to me and much much more! And since then, I’ve maintained that healthy lifestyle as well incorporating more running and ashtanga yoga into the regime since the trip. So for this year, I’m going to maintain that mindset of training for something that may come my way and be ready on short notice – like dualthon perhaps?!

Additionally, I’m thinking of making the hiking, mountain biking and white water rafting excursions an annual outing around the province as well as across the country. I have a week planned for Whistler, BC later on in the year. Drop me a line if you’re interested in joining me in my adventures.

Volunteer – We all have some time to give if you think about it. Why not help others and share own skills? Or assist others? I plan to help out my fellow man more so this year than I have in the past. We all have 8760 hours in a year, surely I can spare 40-50 hours to helps others and perhaps make a difference.

Marketing Marketing Marketing – I mentioned this aspect last year, but I think I need to take a different approach for 2009. (I think) I’m fairly known within circles of the community (fashion, club life, social events) but I still feel the need to get myself out more.

As mentioned before, I mainly go off referrals from previous clients. But this year, I would like to expose my lifestyle photography services to those that have not yet heard of me. Perhaps a gallery showing and/or book publishing is in store for 2009 as I’ve been approached about doing so before but never really focused my energy on it. As well, I plan to do something out of the ordinary to get some people talking and interested. Stay tuned to the blog.

Shoot More, Shoot often – It seemed that I was busy shooting a lot of things this past year but not a lot of payoffs. So this year, I plan to set some goals to a certain number of shoots to be completed this year:

10-12 weddings
5-10 baby/kids shoots
3-5 maternity shoots
3-5 fashion shoots
3-5 lifestyles/anytime shoots

So nothing really crazy off the charts: just some attainable numbers to reach and perhaps surpass. Additionally, the more I shoot, the more I keep learning and redefining my style – which should be ever evolving.

To assist and get assisted – I still look back and still can’t believe that it’s only been slightly over 4 years since I’ve actually started shooting and just 1 year since I’ve considered myself as a lifestyle photographer. But yet I still don’t consider myself a veteran, veterinarian or vegetarian for that matter. I just consider myself fortunate to be at that right place at the right time (sounds like a lifestyle shoot) and to have met certain people who had faith in me and have shown me the way.

So as a way to “pay it forward”, I’m willing to have people tag along during certain shoots so that I too can share my shooting knowledge (or lackthereof!) so that one can have experience of shooting around, getting familiarized with their own equipment and learn how to approach a subject and shoot. I really take the basic and laxed approach of shooting things, events and whatnot so that one doesn’t over think, over analyze or over shoot – which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just not my thing.

As well, I’m hoping to work with other artistic and creative-minded people in sense where we can compliment each other’s style and vision. So, in my ever evolving process of post processing in a convenient and efficient manner, I’ll be looking for some creative people to collaborate with so we can come up with awesome products for our clientele.


There you have it folks. My resolutions for myself for 2009: something adventurous, ambitious and simplistic. All the best to everyone this year and good luck in following your resolutions. Stay classy.

No comments: